Saturday, April 22, 2017

Review of Speaking of Homosexuality

Speaking of Homosexuality: Discussing the Issues with Kindness and ClaritySpeaking of Homosexuality: Discussing the Issues with Kindness and Clarity by Joe Dallas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I recently had the opportunity to read this book along with half a dozen others related to the subject. While this book covered much of the same ground (questions such as, Are people born gay?, and the various biblical texts), it still manages to distinguish itself in terms of its format and the author’s background. As to format, in chapter by chapter Dallas sets out the traditional position, then the opposing positions, offering responses to each one. Thus Dallas keeps his first “rule of engagement” admirably: speak clearly. As to the author’s background, Dallas was once a gay activist himself, and thus brings a unique vantage point to the questions. Finally, I would say that this book is very up to date. Dallas is aware of positions that I didn’t come across in any of the other books, and he interacts with the latest sources. This book accomplished for me both of Dallas’s twofold goal: it helped me better understand the arguments and has better equipped me to know how to respond to them.


View all my reviews

No comments: